Thursday, October 30, 2003

neighbors

Late we were, Franklin and I, for our walk this morning. But my tardiness gave me an opportunity to see a couple of neighbors. C. lives across the street. She used to be the Democratic precinct chair. Her husband is a retired scientist. The Colonel next door is the Republican p.c. And we all get along.

C. had heard about the auction on Saturday for the white Georgian house. It sold to a couple with small children. About thirty people showed up, and at least two neighbors showed an interest in bidding. This is the week that that the townlet newsletter was distributed (I think it comes out quarterly), and it already had some information about the new family.

C. participates in a memoir writing group at her church (Unitarian). They write stories about their past and share them with each other, giving feedback about what is written. Since she has started with this group, she sees it as a way to pass on to her grandchildren a collection of important stories about their parents as well as about C. and her husband.

I think they have been married for over 55 years. They are a wonderful couple, very caring and supportive. Each spring, she gives me pansies for my garden. And she has also shared hostas with me. One of the many nice folk in the townlet.

When we moved here, we were kidded that people's homes are named for the people who last lived in them. You have to live here a while before it becomes your home. But I think we are in a generational transition now, with lots of new families with children and adult couples. One absorbs information about previous residents over time, people I've never met. Little stories that get passed on at community events or at the floating impromptu cocktail parties in summer.

And I saw M. on her way to work. She just got back from England and we haven't had much of an opportunity to talk. She bought bulbs from our choir sale, and I will help her get them in the ground this weekend.

The sun was shining brightly this morning. It will be a good day, I think, to be outside. I cannot wait for tomorrow's gardening.

No comments: