Sunday, March 07, 2004

garden notes

Our morning temperatures are 20 degrees warmer than usual, and that has set off a bit of early springtime activity in what is still winter. Wind has been blowing through off and on for days, so being outside is not as enjoyable as one would think.

Daffodils are up by six inches or higher. Tulips are also pushing out. My tall pink sedum have started growing out of the dirt. Yesterday, I pulled off the winter mulch (leaves and such) off of my perennial beds so that I could spread larkspur, hollyhock and bluebonnet seed out on the soil.

I also pruned roses, and started lining up old brush (dead purple coneflower stems, daisies, Japanese anemones) along an area where I intend to extend the border. I'll run my mulching lawnmower over it.

In this Lenten season, I look at these small stirrings in the garden and reflect on the hope for spring. There is still enough Texas left in me to feel like planting right now, but of course, we still have two - three months of potential freezing temperatures.

No comments: