Friday, August 13, 2004

farewell, julia

I've not been a Martha Stewart basher, but I must admit -- if I had to pick one of them for a dinner guest, I would have picked Julia.

She died today at 91. My first thought was a joke -- if she had only passed on butter and other fatty foods, she would have lived longer. She often railed against those who took the joy out of eating. She also wore a welder's helmet to torch the flambé on the old Rosie O'Donnell talk show.

Rest in peace, Julia.

Here's a link to Slate's Diary that she did a few years ago on making sauces.

2 comments:

lemming said...

No! Nonononono!!! She taught me how to cook!

One of my prized possessions is my grandmother's copy of "French Cooking" with all sorts of useful handwritten notes inside.

Then again, I'm still not over Fred Rodgers. :-(

Anonymous said...

What I liked best about Julia Child was her pursuit of a passion in such a gracious and inviting way. There are a lot who could learn a thing or two besides cooking from the way she lived her life.