Monday, July 18, 2005

special

Because of the size of my garden, I have not indulged much in interesting or unique plants, but have mostly pushed the kinds of perennials that do well here (with exception of roses).

But I did plant a lacecap hydrangea last year, and this year it has put out one large and lovely bloom, reminding me of the ones I first saw in Winchester, England.

My plant is a pale pink (petals) with a darker pink for the center's tiny beads. The whole bloom is as big as dinner plate. More flat than the mophead types, lacecaps have a great understated elegance about them -- a center of tight beads surrounded by pale, large petals. Not too much, not too little. The ones I saw in England were lavendar gray with dark purple beads. I can easily imagine them -- very beautiful.

No comments: