Sunday, January 01, 2006

return

The car is unloaded and the dog's crate is re-assembled -- in fact, he's sitting in it with the door opened. The luggage has all been put away. My eyes are tired after the drive yesterday and today, staring too much at highway. I sat down in a chair and two cats crawled up in my lap and snuggled in the crook of my arm.

The non-profit where I work got its independence this weekend, something that has been in the works for a long time, too long. It was a difficult experience for staff, for supporters. This blog probably developed in part as a way for me to escape from these troubles. I am grateful that this is no longer an issue.

Nothing like driving to make one think about time and place. A decision is made and one moves to another place. I think about lives in the places where we've lived. Towns pass by, and I imagine the context of lives lived in that space. I count mile markers. We move on.

The snow that was left on the ground when we left is now gone. The ground is soggy, and the temps are in the 40s, much warmer than it was in December. The skies are gray.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Glad you're home safe and sound. Perhaps on one of your ventures back to TX you can pass through OKC.

One of my New Year's goals is to finish off The Reformation, so hopefully I'll be back to that soon.

Don said...

Thanks, Emily. I am still reading (slowly) the Reformation. I just finished the chapters on France and Central Europe and am almost finished reading the wrap-up chapter on England and Anglicanism.

Let's finish it!