Tuesday, February 28, 2006

snob

I am mildly bothered when I realize that some of my assumptions about life are based on nothing more than a certain acquired snobbery, particularly when that cruel attitude has kept me from enjoying something.

Like recorded books.

Fiction should be read, I thought. Oh, yes, I enjoyed hearing the recorded Harry Potter tapes during long road trips. But those are children's books, a whimsey.

But good fiction should be read.

I checked out Ian McEwan's Atonement this weekend from the library. It's 10 cassettes. Yesterday and today,on the drive to work, I listened to tape number one, reveling in the pleasure of hearing Jill Tanner's reading this book aloud. Then I remembered Mrs. Teague's third grade class, and how she read to us after lunch, and how enjoyable it was to hearing stories being read aloud, drawing me in.

1 comment:

Don said...

Shelley -- I was a hyper-focused reader as a child, something my family thought was an eccentricity.

But somewhere I learned to like hearing voices. Perhaps they cause some trigger to my imagination.