Saturday, July 08, 2006

some surprises



Here's a shot framed between two out of focused brazilian verbena of my just beginning to flower tobacco plant. I had a few of these in my first garden in Austin many years ago -- they reseeded each year. This plant will get up to four feet or so. I planted three this year and the other two are a little slow. Unlike most plants, they like it hot and sultry, but they also like a little shade. I push how much sun time these perennials get, so its nice to have a plant that can tolerate some shade.

You can see some of the red bee balm on the left. The brazilian verbena is all over the garden -- bees like it. It re-seeds.





(Above) A few years ago I started putting out lots of larkspur seed (another plant I usually have in my garden, one that self-seeds when well established). The first year was ok, but I really thought it was all gone by this year. Then I noticed one and then another coming up this spring -- I think I have 3 or 4 of them now. You can see it on the upper left corner. In the middle are the Starr Asters.

And (below) here's the morality tale -- the lenten experience in gardening. We live in a sinful world and are subject to evil and death. Those alien little bugs are j. beetles, chomping away on the hollyhock. I sacrifice my hollyhocks in July. Alas. (If you are brave, click on the picture for an up-close look.)

2 comments:

afb said...

Very pretty. I enjoy gardening too. There is just something peaceful about planting a living being, nurturing it and saying goodbye when winter comes. Then like an old friend spring comes and so does your plant.

I have a huge field of bee balm at our cabin. It's fun to watch the humingbirds buzzing about. My hubby took this pic yesterday......
http://static.flickr.com/47/185750955_ba28969991.jpg

and just for fun here is one of mine:
http://static.flickr.com/22/29520633_c08bf7525f.jpg

Don said...

Marie -- Thank you for sharing your pictures. They're really good.

I agree about the living things -- maybe why I dislike the j. beetles and their paths of destruction.