Monday, April 25, 2005

sunday gardening

Yesterday, I intended to mow the grass, something I am late to doing this season. I had more sweetgum balls to rake up and I finished that task.

The lawnmower did not start. I will try to find time to clean out the air filter and see if that helps.

So, on a cold windy day, I pulled weeds. I suppose I shouldn't enjoy that task, but it is one of those efforts that gets my hands in the dirt and more importantly, that helps me connect to the garden, to plants close up, to the soil condition, to what's going on out there.

Small lilacs that I planted last spring have continued to bloom, although of course their days are numbered. I see lilacs everywhere as I drive across town. They are worth their short bloom time.

2 comments:

Don said...

Mowing, to me, is time robbed of gardening. It is being a slave to grass, a useful but mostly boring plant.

Obviously, I have an attitude about it.

Don said...

I'm not big on gas engines either.

There is a Martha Stewart recipe for Easter Ham that calls for fresh cut grass. A cheeky reviewer for the New Yorker wrote that if he cut grass from his yard to line the pan, it would be full of cat pee and other undesireable smells.