Friday, October 21, 2005

cold, wet

Perhaps it is the Texan in me (and my early lack of seeing distinct seasons), but I think seasons ought to be fairly consistent. Gardeners like this assumption. Deviations make us edgy.

Up until yesterday, our fall has been too dry, too ambiguous, too vague, too...too.

That has ended. It started raining last night. I think it is over for the day now (late in the afternoon).

The corresponding cold temps have kicked up the leaf turning -- now as I see drifts of orange and yellow leaves, I think it is fall, not that the absence of rain is causing everything to dry up.

That's the way it ought to be.

3 comments:

Emily said...

It finally turned chilly again here. I was tired of trying to keep plants alive through heat in October /

Anonymous said...

I've never thought of Texas weather as being consistent unless you mean it acts like summer all year round. This is the most un-Novemberlike November. By Austin standards I measure November gray and wet as fronts move in from the north. But we still seem stuck in August.

Like Emily, I gave up on my plants after September. There just doesn't seem to be an end to this heat. It's almost 90!

Don said...

M -- My memory of Texas seasons, and particularly fall, is that it just rolls in slowly without much color. I was referring to that, the lack of dramatic, the whole landscape turns orange, red and yellow, kind of season.

I am sorry it's so hot. That same tension is causing major thunderstorms up here, something quite odd for this late in the year.